Strawberry Lemongrass Apple Crumble
Give your usual apple crumble recipe a new life by adding in a jar of Strawberry Lemongrass jam. The deep ruby red jam gives a burst of color & flavor to this typically beige dish. Hands down our absolute favorite spring recipe.
- 1.5 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups of all purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- Lil dash of vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 4 green apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 jar Strawberry Lemongrass Jam
- 1 cup plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbs melted butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- Dash of vanilla extract
Make the base:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a 13"x9" baking dish with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, powdered sugar, & salt together
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar & vanilla in a large bowl until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Gradually starting adding the flour mixture into the butter mixture, mix to combine.
- Press dough into bottom and ½" up sides of prepared baking dish. Chill in refrigerator or freezer until firm, about 15-20 minutes.
- Bake crust until golden (edges will be slightly darker), 20–25 minutes. Let cool slightly; leave oven on.
- While crust is in the oven, toss apples, sugar, ginger, lemon zest and juice, cinnamon & salt in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add apple mixture & ¾ cup water, bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat & simmer, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 15–20 minutes.
Crumble and Assembly:
- Beat together brown sugar, butter, and salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add flour & stir with a fork until small clumps form.
- Spread a thin, even layer of Strawberry Lemongrass Jam over warm crust.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over jam, then sprinkle crumble over apple mixture.
- Bake until crumble is golden brown and apples are very soft, 30–35 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting into squares.
Do Ahead: Bars can be made 2 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
** We suggest serving with top quality vanilla ice cream - we like Van Leeuwan's