Banana Jam Eton Mess
A fun twist on the English classic. Fluffy, chewy meringue meets fresh whipped cream & a heavy dose of everyones favorite Banana Jam. If you can find good quality meringue at your local grocer then the work is all done, all you have to do now is play!
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2c granulated sugar
- 3/4c powdered sugar, sifted
- 2tbs cornstarch
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream, cold
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean, scraped out or 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 2 tbs powdered sugar
- 3-4 passionfruit (or 1 cup of strawberries, sliced)
- 1 jar of Banana Jam
- Preheat oven to 225F
- Whisk egg white and a pinch of salt in the clean bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form (3-4 minutes).
- Gradually add the granulated sugar and continue to whisk until thick and glossy (2-3 minutes).
- Sift powdered sugar & cornstarch over egg whites, fold to combine.
- Spoon into 3 inch diameter meringues onto a tray lined with baking paper. Bake until meringues lift easily from trays and are crisp / not colored (45-50 minutes), then turn off oven and cool completely in oven.
For Whipped Cream:
- Combine all ingredients, beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form (do not over beat!)
- Break up the meringues and fold in with the cream, passionfruit and Banana Jam.
- Eat with a spoon & napkin!
- Can substitute strawberries for passionfruit (the OG Eton mess was made with strawberries).
- Can also add sliced banana
- Can also be served w/ ice cream, if you are feeling extra decadent!
- Feel free to use store bought meringues if you have access to quality ones!