Cherry Chai Chocolate Cake
A rich dark chocolate cake soaked in Cherry Chai jam while it's still hot then, simply topped with fresh whipped cream & loads more of Cherry Chai jam. This cake actually gets better with age so feel free to make a day ahead and store in the refrigerator before serving!
- 1 jar Cherry Chai jam
- 8oz unsalted butter
- 11 oz dark chocolate (70%)
- 2 Tbsp Dutch Cocoa, sifted
- 1/2c milk
- 6 eggs
- 1c sugar
- 1/2c brown sugar
- 1c all purpose flour
For Whipped Cream:
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1c (cold) heavy cream
Adapted from Donna Hay
- Preheat oven to 325°F, Lightly grease a 8" round springform cake tin and line with parchment paper.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth.
- Add the cocoa and milk and stir to combine. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the eggs and both the sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed for 12–15 minutes or until pale, thick and creamy.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until just combined. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour and whisk until just combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 10 minutes or until set.
- Once out of the oven prick all over with toothpick, spread 1/2 jar of Cherry Chai jam on top and allow to seep into warm cake.
- Allow to cool completely then top with fresh whipped cream* & remaining Cherry Chai jam.
To make whipped cream:
Adapted from Alton Brown
- Place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place sugar & cream in chilled bowl. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
** Our Cherry Chai jam is made with only the best: Dona Chai.