Holiday Bakewell Tart
This easy, simple tart uses our Cherry Chai jam as its base layer, making it a cross between your favorite family pie & a desert fit for the queen . This tart keeps exceptionally well, getting better with a day's time & works wonders to finish off your dinner party.
-1c plain flour
-1 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra to decorate
- 1/2c butter
-1 egg yolk
- 3/4c butter, softened
-3/4c caster sugar
- 1 2/3c ground almonds
-1 tsp almond extract
-1 jar Cherry Chai jam (or Holiday Orange marmalade)
-1/2c sliced almonds
Make pastry shell:
-Sieve the flour and icing sugar into a bowl. Rub in the butter.
- Add the egg yolk and 2 tsp water and mix to a firm dough.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured board and use to line a 9" loose-based, fluted tart tin. Chill for 15 minutes
- .Heat the oven to 350F.
- Bake the pastry case ‘blind’ for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and baking beans and cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Beat together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the ground almonds and almond extract.
- Spread the Cherry Chai or Holiday Orange jam over the base of the pastry case.
- Spread the almond filling evenly on top, then sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes until the filling is firm and golden brown. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
*Feel free to use a store bought pastry shell if you are pressed for time, the glory is in the jam & almonds :)